8.04.2007

Tecnobrega parties are fucking rad

This has got to be the next shit or something. The first thing I see
when I walk in is this huge bright LED screen with animations that
remind me of the demo scene (including plasma and rotating cubes).

I met one of the producers and barely understood him say something
like "I'm making electro-brega... it's a mix between Benny Benassi
and technobrega". Sure enough, later that night the guy is up in the
spaceship DJ cockpit and I hear the baseline from "Satisfaction" all
cut up to fit into your standard rolling reggaetonish brega beat. So
amazing.

By that point me and my friend Giseli were totally just being DJ ho's
(is that designation still current and/or acceptable?) just laughing
and basking in it.

Other awesome reappropriations included melody rips of Rhianna
"Unfaithful", Ace of Base "Don't Turn Around", "Girls Just Wanna Have
Fun" and this song by the Italian R&B artist Tiziano Ferro (actually
pretty awesome) from back in 2001 that I never thought I'd hear
again. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" even had a really strong phonetic
imprint from the original version in some of the verses.

Photos should be going up tonight.