3.15.2007

To celebrate my 5th karaoke week I sang "Mambo #5"

The odds are I won't be back this summer. I was just at a karaoke
night here (the one that marks a karaoke week, how I measure time on
the island). You would love it, it's so rich. This woman did a
super improvisational English / Spanish version of My Way that just
blew me ay-way. That's what I need the video camera for, god damn.
And people love my sean paul songs too. Tonight I did Mambo #5.
It's nice doing songs you don't know that are so good you can just
plow through the verses and nail the chorus, with a great beat behind
you. Maybe I should get lucky dog punky or DJ Denise to send down
some burned CD+G's. Even if I'm gone by the time they arrive,
they'll augment the English selection for future generations. It'd
be really great to have Remix to Ignition, for example.

There are these folks who get together on their porch all afternoon
in the weekends with a karaoke machine and people stop by with beer.
I hung with them last weekend. A bunch of the dudes from there have
a sort of karaoke crew they call "El Grupo Loco". And in the
instrumentals they'll say stuff like "el grupo? .... .... el grupo
LOCO!" and then they all laugh, every time. It's great. Can't
wait. I'm learning some songs, but the melodies are complicated
enough it's tough learning them from other people's singing. Gotta
download some stuff.

The fun thing about tonight's karaoke was that it was a dance party,
everybody up and dancing. Last week it was just too packed.

Some awesome songs for you to download. Possibly these aren't the
titles, but google them in some combination with the lines in
parentheses and you'll find the songs I bet.

Vayan para trabajo! (que no que no que no)
Vine a decirte adios (por no dejarte sola)
Billirubina (sp?)
La conciencia (sp?) (corazon... la consciencia y la razon!)
El mentiroso (es mentiroso ese hombre, es mentiroso!)

Sorry, Kevin, just riffing here. Decided I had a good blog post and
thought I'd kill two birds.