4.07.2007

Haiti as a place

That out of the way, I hope I can pass along some crazy tings I've
stumbled across and convey some impression of what it's like here. I
will combat the nasal irritation seeping into my tone by renouncing
tone in favor of bullet points.

The word Haiti has something to do with "hilly" (it means land of the
hills?). The Dominican Republic has mountains, but no cities built on
mountains. Haiti is awesomer in this respect.

There's African music on the radio. One song (no idea who) drops out
of not sure what language into the chorus from Remix to Ignition.
Words and everything (not like that Akon song which just bites the
notes). No joke.

The most insane thing colonialism did here was bring so many people to
this hot, rocky island.

The walk to where I am staying is slippery, windy, and vertical.
There is a ton of that here.

The word for one form of currency here (there are two hatian
currencies) is "good". Which is funny, because you can say "I'm
money" or "I'm good" in English to mean roughly the same thing. This
only indicates how much I've been "woah, man" thinking about
languages, and how often I end up seeing intersections between them
that are neato enough to keep me looking.

The tipping forties to dead homies has its roots in an African
tradition which is still big here, where you pour your drink in 3
points on the ground before drinking it. My version of this is (water
is sold in pouches here which you open with your teeth) to humorously
squirt water all over my face and crotch before drinking, in a totally
"green" (or white) but still 100% refreshing way.