4.07.2007

Haiti as a sensation

This shit is intense. Some kind of cold and/or allergies kicked in
last night and I was very uncomfortable today. This is not the place
where you want that to happen, and I wasn't a happy traveler in the
traditional sense today.

People cook with charcoal, they sell cheap dirty gas at 60 cents a
gallon and all the vehicles are old. Lots of diesel vehicles going up
hills and in stop and go traffic. I bought some claritin, and have
been doing pretty good for water and rest, so hopefully the thing will
resolve itself.

Of course I can cut through it intellectually, and I keep trying. On
the bus coming home I heard this very unique repeating squawk coming
from just behind my head as a person boarded the van, and thought it
was a cellphone. It was more a chicken than a cellphone, though.
Fuck allergies, I was not that chicken.

Every time my dominican traveling companion lit up a cigarette my nose
went crazy and I got really mad inside and then laughed at myself
(Grr, ha, whatever, ohh).