6.08.2007

Jamaican macho bullshit

At one point in the set on Wednesday, they threw on that "Nobody
wants to see us together" Akon jam. (Look out for my karaoke medley
of that, "Remix to Ignition", and the Wyclef "Just cause she dance
the gogo" song-- it's going to blow minds.)

Anyway, so they run the "Nobody wants to see us together" chorus for
a second--which everybody loves--and then one of the DJs comes in on
the mic saying "Now the gay fraternity in America..." as he lowers
the volume on the music... He starts again "Now the gay fraternity
in America has made this song their anthem..." I'm thinking "Oh, I
get it" and then "Uh oh". He continues, "So this is now a battyman
song, and we aren't gonna play any battyman song" and then there's
that record scratch / rewind song, and he throws on another version,
to the same melody with a okay imitation of Akon's voice that goes:

"Two man dey must not lie down together..." and then I didn't catch
the second part.

My only regret was that I wasn't watching the crowd's reaction
closely enough, since I was too pissed off. I have a sense that as I
was yelling "fuck you" and giving them the finger from the balcony
other people were making noise too, and most likely cheering. The
macho anti-gay bullshit is more of a Jamaican thing than a Trini
thing, but it seems to fly here, which sucks.

If I were a girl I would've splattered my drink on them from the
balcony, but that seemed way too unpredictable in this setting, and
anyway, talk is cheap.