6.16.2007

Karaoke revolution

Late att karaoke tonight the Akon song "Nobody" comes up on the
screen. A Texan says "hey, this is Akon, you were gonna do Akon,
right? Is this you?" and with a sinking feeling I say "No." I
didn't even know this song was in the book. Damn, I've always wanted
to sing it but I didn't even know they had it; it wasn't in the book
for being too new.

So the guy gets up and starts singing and he's doing a great job. He
not only has the chorus down but he has perfect flow on the verses.
Everybody loves it and I'm totally jealous. Especially because I've
always wanted to do this song and do the Kels / 'Clef medley.\ I
deflate and start thinking about when the next karaoke night is and
if I'll still be in the country.

But then a glimmer of hope appears. Maybe I can jump in?

I'm hovering. He gets to the point in the song where it starts to
get repetitive. I make eye contact and go for it, jumping in all
slurry and sleazy with (oh shit!) "It's the remixto ignitiiona hotn
fresh outthe kitchenamama rollin'that body gotevery manin here
wishinga sippin oncoke and rummm. I'm like sowhatI'm drunnnkits the
freakin weakinbabyimaboutta have me some..." By the word "kitchen"
people start screaming. After the verse we jump back in to the Akon,
alternate lines and then end up hugging and belting out the chorus
together screaming into mikes over eachothers' shoulders. I give a
quick look and jump into "Just cause she dance the go go, that don't
make her a ho no" and this time it takes a little longer for
everybody to scream, but they do. We close out the song together and
it's fucking amazing.

It could not have worked out better.

Also, I really wanted to do Rhianna Umbrella, but the karaoke DJ kept
kicking me back in the queue because I sang in songs with other
people. Eventually I manage to convince them, do the Jay-Z verse,
and then there's like 12 guys and girls on the three mics rallying to
sing umbrella as the last karaoke song of the night, before it
switches to dance party. Coup # toup.