2.19.2007

Culebra

Right now I'm in Culebra. Search for it on flickr, it's nice here.
I decided to extend my trip, give myself a week here, and see if I
could find somebody to sail south with. Put up a few flyers, made
some announcements on the VHF radio (old school boat chat room) and,
most importantly, went up and started talking to people in bars.

Got a cheap k-mart tent at k-mart (do they even have those in the
US?) and am sleeping in a sort of unofficial campsite on a field that
until two nights ago was unoccupied. Now a bunch of 'vangelicals are
staying in a trailer there. Kind of awkward at first, but then
they're like, yeah sure you can keep camping here. Last night
somehow the topic of my sister comes up and I find out about the
evangelical part...

"Mi hermano estaba a Philadelphia"
"Oh, I have a sister in Philadelphia..."
"Esta casada?"
"Well actually..."

...and they say "well you know in the Bible". I got out of it with a
smiling "I 'respectfully disagree' but I'll sit and let you talk to
me about jesus for the next 20 minutes until you get sleepy". Sodom
and Gomorrah also came up in relation to my mention of Brazil as my
principal destination. Ah well, it doesn't cost $20 a night to camp
there, and my shit is very unlikely to get stolen.

Anyway, somebody's going to take me along to St. Thomas (the next
island, and a place where tons of boats come through going south) and
I'll learn some stuff about sailing along the way. Turns out it was
the first guy I talked to the first night I rolled in here, all on a
mission. There's some Malcolm Gladwell article there, I think.
Since then I've been kicking back, and swimming every day.

Since I finished <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Against_the_Day">Against the Day</a> a couple days back (could barely
read the last 200 pages through the "this is so awesome" tears) I'm
kind of sick of cold chillin and started doing some internet work
(like starting this blog).