2.18.2007

Motorscooter night ride

Right now I'm in Culebra. I got here after visiting a friend of ours in San Juan, and coming out for a weekend. It was also the only place I could find that rented motorscooters. Scooted around the island for an afternoon, but then nervously took that rocket on the ferry back to the mainland.

Nervously because 1) it wasn't *exactly* kosher to take the scooter off the island I don't think (thought the rental agreement didn't say boo about it) and 2) I had only the faintest idea of how to get where I was going. Wanted to get back to Bea's house in San Juan. Had some directions off mapquest puerto rico (useless ones, it turned out) and had 50 miles of route-9 style highway to rock at night.

The scooters they rent on this island (almost all the scooters in PR, it seems) are made by this Chinese company. They've got big 4 stroke engines and go 50 without breaking a sweat, and 65 on a straightaway. It was Saturday night and I'm blasting along a highway from Fajardo (where the ferry docked) to San Juan, along the coast. Not used to going that fast, and the helmet I had didn't cover my face from the wind, so in my ears there was this Thunder. Damn. Anyway, I made it to San Juan, made it back to friend's house with her directions eventually, and the next day I had a scooter in the city. Freedom!

Let's see how this post-by-email thing works, and continue.