2.18.2007

Scooter day ride

Took the scooter up into the hills outside San Juan. The roads are so, so, so steep and windy, and the landscape is either lush grass or rainforest. So basically it was like scootering through tuscany, only with cooler fauna and less self-importance. Like, in toscana they'd remove the wrecked cars by the side of the road. Here they are memorials or trophies (to whom is ambiguous).

The way houses were built into the landscape was incredible. And the houses had that amazing tropical quality where they are maintained just enough to be comfortable and not fall down, so they get beat up and the aesthetic gap separating them from the shrubbery around them narrows.

Stopped for a beer and to eat some peanuts, and a few guys at this little hill town bar saw my map and came over to ask where I was going. I road with one of them for a while (he's like, follow me) and then he gave me his sunglasses, cause I'd need 'em for the highway, he said.

In San Juan there's a beautiful low bridge across a lagoon, like that one in Miami you take to go out to South Beach. Blasting across it at 60 on a scooter is one of the best things ever.